Friday, October 28, 2011

Quittin' time, part 2

Sorry I made you wait for the rest of this.  I keep thinking I'm going to have more time, and every time I think that something comes up.  When will I learn?  The bad news is my best friend is sick tonight so what I was hoping I'd be doing isn't going to happen.  But the good news is I have the rest of the day (and I mean until like 1:00 tomorrow morning) to get the stuff done I need to do today.  So here I am.

If you're wondering about part 1, click here. Now that we're all on the same page...

So after I left bible study, I reminded myself at times audibly that God is in control.  There's always a reason.  Always.  Even when we don't know what it is, there's a reason.  I went home, changed the littles' diapers and stuff, got what we needed and went to the school to get Ryan.  I was almost sure that since his aid wasn't with him, I'd have to get the kids out and go in and get him, since I pick him up in the middle of the school day.  Imagine my surprise to see his teacher bringing him out.  When he got to the van, it went something like this:

Me: So how'd he do?

L: We're good.

Me:  We're good?  Oh, he had a good day?

L: No, we're GOOD.

Me: Um... you mean we don't need to hire someone else good?

L: I'd like to try it.

That last comment and the look on L's face I will remember for eternity.

She went on to describe how well he'd done since lunch the day before, when his aid had resigned. Not one meltdown.  Little fits, but no meltdowns.  Being the mommy I am, I had to make sure he was safe.  Satisfied with her answer, I put my official mommy-seal on the deal and we agreed.

RYAN IS IN KINDERGARTEN WITHOUT AN AID!

Full inclusion.  All day.  Only someone to help with music and p.e.

After searching the van for and reattaching my chin, we headed to therapy.  Soon as I was out of the school zone I called Eric.  We both teared up.  I think we both said "FOR REAL?!?!" about ten times.  The only other thing that we could manage to utter was Praise God.

It has now been a week and a half.  If Ryan's folder was still here, I'd show you the happy faces and "Great Day" markings on his behavior chart.  I am still in utter disbelief.

I'm in disbelief that he's doing this!  We are so proud of him!  We are so proud of his teacher!  We are so proud to be in a school district that makes the paperwork fit the kid instead of the kid fit the paperwork!  I mean, he still needs some support.  But when you're in a place where all the teachers actually really do care about the kids... all of the kids, not just the easy ones... kids like Ryan get a shot.  They get a real shot. And when they fall, others pick them up, dust them off, and give them another shot.  I cannot tell you how grateful I am for God's providence in all this.  For the teachers, administration, the special programs department, his teacher form the last three years who still checks in on him, the aid who knew for whatever reason it was time to go... all of this, we are so grateful.

I don't know why God chose to give us all He's given us.  I could begin listing it all, but don't think blogger would allow me the storage capacity.  Just looking around in our family, just seeing our three kids smiling at us, is more than enough.  We're healthy, my husband and I love each other, we still have my mother, his parents, and his Nana, we have our sisters and their husbands and families, and we have extended family.  We have a fabulous church, wonderful friends, and a roof over our heads.

As King David said in 2 Samuel 7:18, "Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?"

Who am I, Lord?  Who are we, that you have brought us this far?!

Thanks and much praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...