Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tales of Day Camp, Vol 2

I missed posting on day one.  Whoopsie!  But it's been a good week all around.  We've had a fun time with the whole day camp thing, even though I was worried because Eric's at work all week-ish.  But you know what?  Friends and family are great like that.  We've felt very loved this week!

The leaders at camp are great as usual.  No problems there.  Also as usual, I got all teary-eyed as I got into view of all the leaders and the sweet spectrum kids and their parents.  I walked by as a couple of parents were questioning, obviously leaving their kiddo for maybe the first time at a place like this.  I remember being there, wondering if I could really trust them, questioning my sanity at leaving my child in a setting like this... mostly outside, going places around campus, having to participate in games.  While I won't say it solves any major problems for our boy or any kid, I will say that it is a wonderful setting to have some somewhat guided, safe social interaction. 

Due in part of finding the sunblock (they wanted the kids to be coated before they came), we were a little late. We walked through campus to the grassy spot in front of a building where check-in is held.  So many parents and kids, and here I was with my stroller, complete with hold-on handles (they are a life saver) and three sleepy, anxious kids sweating in the already-sweltering Texas heat.  Richie and Maelynn were great.  Richie held on to his handle, and Mae sat in her stroller without complaint.  

The problem is that I don't do crowds well.  Compound that with needing to get paperwork and not knowing exactly where to start, and having to keep the kids happy while I figured all this out, and things weren't pretty.  I got befuddled trying to get in line for Ryan's check-in forms, and in two seconds he was out of sight.  After a rather embarrassing panic, I found him at the end of the long building, trying to get in to see the...

 you guessed it...

 elevator.  

I wish I could say that I completed the paperwork while Ryan sat beside me on the steps.  I wish I could say that he went willingly and excitedly with his group leader. Unfortunately, he did his best to get away from me and everyone else.  His group leader finally left with her group, Ryan's paperwork not even begun.  Not exactly the start I was hoping for.  

As I slinked away, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the sunblock, waiting patiently in the upholder of the stroller.  I didn't use it.  I looked around, and he was pretty much gone.  

Upon pick-up, I found both yesterday and today (and yes, I put sunblock on him today) that we had the same problem.  He has figured out that he doesn't want to stay with the group, and the quickest way to get away is to run.  We've done some talking about staying with the group, and that's really all we can do.  

So why in the world do we do this?  It's not solving anything, it's not convenient, it's not doctor-ordered.  It's simply social interaction in a safe environment for such things for Ryan.  He's not going to go to church camp or anything like that soon, and there's not much summer stuff that appeals other than water.  I was beginning to question this on the way this morning, then as the Sesame Street CD rolled over to another track, I heard Ryan's sweet voice, working to sing along to this... 

I believe in little things
That you can hardly see
Like honeycombs and spiderwebs
And starfish in the sea

I believe in little things
Like icy drops of rain
That melt into the morning mist 
When winds are warm again

I believe in little things
Like colors in the sky
And noticing when the waves roll in
And how the flowers die

Knowing they'll be back again
Whenever it's July

I believe in little things 
Like you and me
And just how big 
Little things can be
~Prairie Dawn
© Universal Music Publishing Group, BOB-A-LEW SONGS, EMI Music Publishing

And I guess that's why I get all teary-eyed when I see large groups of these kids and their parents, and people doing something special for them.  Because they believe in little things, too.  

Thanks be to God for the little things that are really the big things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...