Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Painting Senegal

There's not a ton that isn't electronic or wheel-based that Ryan is into.  Well, there's water, but one can only swim and bathe so many hours in the day.  One of our dearest folks is with a team on a mission trip to Senegal, and we thought, this being summer and all, this combination lends itself well for some family talk about missions.  

It's really simple.  With kids so little, we printed out coloring sheets we found online of the flag, the kinds of animals they have, and learned a few quick facts about the place so we can talk a bit about it with the kids.  I figured this would go over well with the littles, but not so much with the big guy.  As you can see, Maelynn went ca-razy with the ol' markers... then toned it down a bit with some crayons.  


Richie turned out to be my detail man!  He's all about precision.  Initially, when I asked him to say cheese, he said "I'm too busy."  I believe him!  After he colored the reindeer (um, I mean antelope) red, he was determined to color the giraffe's spots brown.  


Then there's my Ryan.  The first time we sat to color the flag, he said "color with the numbers" and it took a second, but I realized he was asking for a color-by-number!  We wrote numbers on each section, then made a key with sticky notes, and he actually seemed to enjoy it!  No behavior issues, no cajoling, no bargaining.  One proud mama and papa!  And haven't you always wanted to see a blue giraffe?  He specifically requested that.  "Blue giraffe!" 

You bet, buddy. 


Notice the blue wristband... it came in a kids meal, and he thought it was way cool for some reason.  It's been since Sunday and he's not removed it.  Hope that's a good sign he'll leave on his hospital bracelet Thursday morning?  

I'll take it.  He hasn't left anything on like that since he was a baby that I can remember.  

We're so thankful for the folks who are called to carry the faith to the ends of the earth!  But we're not forgetting that we're all missionaries... all the time.  You don't have to be commissioned by a congregation to get out of bed in the morning, but we all do it.  And any time we're up walking around this globe whether in our homes, schools, churches, and communities or hundreds... even thousands of miles away, we are still called to share the good news of the gospel in all we do.  

Really look at those last four words.  In the grocery line a mile long, waiting to get gas, dealing with our kids' teachers and schools, dealing with other parents, in who we talk to and how we talk, every little thing.  Always remembering that we are to be salt and light to this world, and that the world is all around us.  Remembering also that we will fail.  We need grace and mercy, and to hold fast to the word, allowing it to change how we view things... which is a thousand times easier said than done.  

Thanks be to God for His guiding light.  May it always feel warm, comforting, and inviting... and may it reflect from all of us!




You are the sun shining down on everyone
Light of the world giving light to everything I see
Beauty so brilliant I can hardly take it in
And everywhere you are is warmth and light

And I am the moon with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine
And as I glow in this cold dark night
I know I canít be a light unless I turn my face to you

You are the sun shining down on everyone
Light of the world giving light to everything I see
Beauty so brilliant I can hardly take it in
And everywhere you are is warmth and light

And I am the moon with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine
And as I glow in this cold dark night
I know I canít be a light unless I turn my face to you

Shine on me with your light
Without you Iím a cold dark stone
Shine on me I have no light of my own
You are the sun, you are the sun, you are the sun
And I am the moon
"You Are The Sun" by Sara Groves





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...