Sunday, May 19, 2013

Zooming In

Check out this picture.  What do you see?


Okay, other than my need for photography classes.

If you can get past the fuzzies, you'll see a high school graduating class.  One of probably hundreds of thousands across the nation.  If you're the sentimental type, if I continue to press, you might see potential.  You might see a little over a hundred kids from a small town ready to break away and see what they can do.  You might see one chapter closing and another beginning.  You might see budding adulthoods all in neat rows, a hundred arrows ready to be fired into the unknown.

I see more.

Around the second row, I see a beautiful honor graduate.  Zooming closer than the camera is able, I see a talented artist.

I see a million laughs, giggles, and tears from joy and frustrated unfairness.

I see the hard work, the calculus homework, the time spent learning how to write a research paper... and how proud I was that she didn't even need help this time to score an A.

I see a heart passionate for so many things, not the least of which is her family and friends.

I see the loyalty that got her out of bed early the morning after prom to go to church with us so that she could support Ryan in the Waco Walk for Autism that afternoon.

I see the sweet friend who blocked out every Wednesday evening for five years to spend them in the craziness that is our home.

I see so very many things I'm going to miss.

I'm going to miss seeing that yellow car pull up.

I'm going to miss that text on Wednesday morning around ten that says:

 "What's for dinner? lol"

and going straight from that to Pinterest to see if there's anything she's pinning that I could make.  

Of course there's more... I'm going to miss helping her learn to do different random stuff, and having her come hang out when she's bored, and a host of other things.  As we go through all the graduation pomp and tradition, I've choked up at least once every time, thinking how proud we are of her, and how weird it is going to be to not have her around.

But I wouldn't discourage her leaving in a million years.  

As much as I'm going to miss her... as different as especially Wednesdays will be, I can't wait to see what God has in store for her.  She's an incredible young lady who is wise beyond her years.  Yes, she'll hit bumps in the road.  But I know she'll learn from them and keep pedaling.

So Godspeed, class of 2013.  Wishing all of you the best in everything you do, and certainly that all goes well for you.

For that one girl in the second row... you know, the one that drew us to class day and baccalaureate... we're gonna miss you like ca-razy.  But it's time for you to go make so many other folks' world a better place, and we're so proud of you.  God made you wonderfully, kiddo.  Thanks for always carving out time for us.  We love you.

Go get 'em.

Thanks be to God for our sweet J.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...