Friday, December 21, 2012

Nemo and Mary

At 2 AM, Ryan woke crying and fussing.  Eric went to him, being the super dad he is, and it turns out Ryan wanted Mommy.

That is the first time my son woke and asked for me.

So I peeled back the covers and invited him to snuggle down with Mom.  I didn't sleep much, but hey... today is Christmas vacation!  We're expecting family late tonight, so I have baking and cleaning to do.  But first, the kids wanted to watch Finding Nemo.

And they asked Mommy to watch, too.

I love that movie.  It's my greatest challenge as a parent and my worst fear all rolled into one movie, but it's great.  And the kids love it.  Ryan even danced down toward me and quoted what Dory would say on the menu screen before she said it.

But the movie is so close to home in so many ways.  This morning, between looking at the Christmas tree and watching the first scene in the fish tank at the doctor's office, I can't help but think about Mary.

Yes, Jesus' mom.  Just as Gill understood and challenged Nemo, this Christmas Mary challenges me.

She knew what it was like to make decisions the world didn't understand.

She knew what it was like to be stared at.

She knew what it was like to be called to something that so many would not understand, or even despise.

She knew what it was like to be different.

We aren't given a cold standard to strive toward with nothing to buffer our failure from God's wrath.  We are given a Savior who came to live as we live, and overcome death.  He didn't come as they... as we... thought he would.  And for now, the knowledge that He and his family knew more about different than I can imagine is so much more than a soft cushion on which to land my tired heart.

It's inspiration to keep pedaling.  To keep still and do my best to live every mile, every foot of the journey.  Not just survive them.

Now if you'll excuse me, Nemo's about to attempt to help the crew escape from the tank for the first time.  Later, I have to bake cookies and pies and clean house, but for now, it's snuggle time.

Merry Christmas and happy vacation!

Thanks be to God!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...